On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Michael Torrie <torr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> which they will).  BtrFS should be just as good and even superior to ZFS
> when it finally becomes stable (BtrFS is also by oracle... I'm so
> conflicted).  I don't want to bother upgrading my kernel just to try out
> btfs though.

I lurk on the btrfs list for fun ( I think I need to get out more ).
Although the on-disk format should not change, there are quiet a large
number of changes in the code since I've been on the list. I really don't
like how they are planning to implement quotas and that you can't do
recursive snapshots. They are planning to implement quotas like ZFS does,
basically it's a new file system with it's own quota for the entire file
system. This is great until you wish to host hundreds of home spaces, and
you want 10 snapshots so they can restore their own files.

Right now, the management of that type of system on my EXT4 file system with
LVM, seems to give me much more flexibility without it being a management
nightmare. The thing I hate most about the current set-up is LVM is a dog
when you get over like one snapshot, plus, I've overrun so many snapshots,
it's frustrating.

Basically, I'm lurking on the btrfs list so that I can speak up on snapshots
and quotas when the topics come up. I like the on the fly compression and it
feels pretty snappy. On my Debian Squeeze system, it won't automatically
mount, but I'm sure it's something I've done wrong. Linus is using btrfs as
his root file system on his machines (Yikes, I'd hate to be Chris. That's a
lot of pressure).

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University