Paul,
I will have to try this to really make sure .. but I am pretty sure you will have to point the diodes towards the coils, (not away from the coils) ... the opposite of what they would be for the rev-limiter ... Stay on either the two rear cylinders or the two front cylinders ... to assure you will get an opposing pair, (firing wise ... ).
campbell
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Novak
Subject: Autometer tach on my MAX

I am installing a 5" Silver monster tach with shift lite on my '99 Max. (Automotive type 10k)
I know that tapping off one of the coils for a tach signal will only give me half of the actual RPM's
> snip <
Problem is: attaching both diodes to the tach wire gives me 0 RPM. Attaching only one diode at a time will give me 50% RPMs.