Zitat von JD <jd1...@gmail.com>:

On the guest:
# lsmod | grep -i vbox
vboxadd                62772  0
Sorry, I had not known about the module vboxvfs.
So, I had to modprobe vboxvfs manually.
The mount now works.

Great, so we had one of this wonderful completely misleading classic Unix error messages here (no such device !!) ;-)

So, why was vboxvfs not loaded automatically after running
VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run?

Looks like this is now the next interesting question in this puzzle. Ideally it should be autoloaded when a program like mount.cifs needs it. But this is now a question which somebody else has to answer. I had only the theoretical knowledge which components are needed for it to work, but do not have an such a system installed. And I fear also the details of this mechanism are different in various Linux flavors.

Best regards,

Jochen Roderburg
RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:   +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln                          E-Mail: roderb...@uni-koeln.de
Germany