Zeno Davatz writes:
> I followed the below HOWTO and think is great - it helped me a lot. I
> managed to send and receive messages locally an online.

Cool.

> What I do not quite understand yet is how vpopmail and qmail handle
> the outgoing messages via smtp:

vpopmail does not affect outgoing mail.  It controls whether or not certain
IP's are allowed to relay mail when connecting to qmail-smtpd.

>> * Change the run script for qmail-smtpd (/service/qmail-smtpd/run)
>> to use vpopmail.  The tcp.smtp.cdb file needs to point to the one in
>> the vpopmail home directory (ex. /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb).
>> This step makes POP-before-SMTP work.
> Does this file contain the all the hosts for witch my Server will send
> Email?

tcp.smtp (compiled into tcp.smtpd.cdb) controls which IP's are allowed to
connect to tcpserver.  It defaults to allow (which would be a single
":allow" line).  Setting RELAYCLIENT for an IP tells qmail-smtpd to allow it
to relay mail.

Normally, this file contains all IP's on your network, assuming you want
them to relay through qmail.  The following is an example.  RBLSMTPD is only
needed if you are using rblsmtpd.  Leaving it blank tells rblsmtpd to not
perform lookups against that address (you don't want it looking up your own
addresses):

127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",RBLSMTPD=""
192.168.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",RBLSMTPD=""

> My run file is (I just changed the path of the vpopmail-home):

If your domains directory is on /var, then make sure you have enough space
for all the mail.

> #!/bin/sh
> QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
> NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
> MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`

As a tip, you can get rid of QMAILDUID and NOFILESGID by adding -U to the
tcpserver command line and using "envuidgid qmaild" as the first thing after
exec.

> exec softlimit -m 2000000 \
>   tcpserver -v -R -l 0 -x /var/lib/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c
> "$MAXSMTPD" \
>     -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp qmail-smtpd 2>&1
>
> When I try to send a message I get the 5.7.1 error.
> I read all the documentation for Newbies on relaying from Chris.

Does your tcp.smtp file set RELAYCLIENT for the IP that you are sending
from?

vpopmail will create vpopmail/etc/open-smtp that it merges with tcp.smtp
when building tcp.smtp.cdb.  It does this automatically for any IP that
successfully authenticates via POP3 (or anything using vchkpw, such as
Courier IMAP).  tcp.smtp.cdb is automatically rebuilt when this happens.

You need to make sure vpopmail/bin/clearopensmtp is being run from cron
every 30-60 minutes, otherwise these IP's will never expire.

--
David Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://david.acz.org/