Sengor wrote:
> Hi colleagues,
>
> Recently we've had a situation where a mounted vxfs filesystem was @
> 100% usage (no free space) on Solaris 9, SF5. So we thought "great
> we'll go and increase the volume & the filesystem and be done with
> it".
>
> To our unpleasant surprise fsadm returned error saying filesystem can
> not be expanded due to it being full (even though volume has been
> expanded already). We tried deleting some files from the affected fs,
> to no avail. As root, even rm &  trying to zero out some of the files
> simply refused to work due to the filesystem being full.
>
> Now from what I understand there's no such thing as minfree root
> reserved space for vxfs, which would allow the fs to be expanded once
> it's full.
>
> I'm quite disappointed to see vxfs not reserve any space on the side
> for it's own administrative purposes, since fs being @ 100% is when
> you need to expand the filesystem the most, out of any other case
> scenarios.
>
> How do people go about resolving or avoiding the issue of not being
> able to expand the filesystem once it's full?
>
> Are there any precautions/safeguards to consider when the fs is being
> created initially? Perhaps some means of reserving administrative fs
> space (without quotas) ?
>
> Thank you.

You can still expand it, just pick a small number.. a block or two..
that gives you some space to expand it slightly more, and then slightly
more, and so in. It's not ideal, but it's a known issue and it works.
grow by a few bytes and then double and double and double until you get
where you want it to be.