Here is a trick I do. Find out the sizes of directories which are overly
using space. Pick one which will bring the usage DOWN by 10%. Now tar/cpio
the whole directory to a different partition and delete it.(of course
logically, that directory should not be used by any of the applications
actively. If they are, shutdown the app). Now expand it to whatever size you
want to the hearts content. Veritas needs 5 to 10% of free space to do the
actual expansion.

Good luck and let us how you fare.

-GGR
Rajiv G Gunja