Hi colleagues,

Recently we've had a situation where a mounted vxfs filesystem was @
100% usage (no free space) on Solaris 9, SF5. So we thought "great
we'll go and increase the volume & the filesystem and be done with
it".

To our unpleasant surprise fsadm returned error saying filesystem can
not be expanded due to it being full (even though volume has been
expanded already). We tried deleting some files from the affected fs,
to no avail. As root, even rm &  trying to zero out some of the files
simply refused to work due to the filesystem being full.

Now from what I understand there's no such thing as minfree root
reserved space for vxfs, which would allow the fs to be expanded once
it's full.

I'm quite disappointed to see vxfs not reserve any space on the side
for it's own administrative purposes, since fs being @ 100% is when
you need to expand the filesystem the most, out of any other case
scenarios.

How do people go about resolving or avoiding the issue of not being
able to expand the filesystem once it's full?

Are there any precautions/safeguards to consider when the fs is being
created initially? Perhaps some means of reserving administrative fs
space (without quotas) ?

Thank you.