OK, got some more info.

If the file system is a multiple of the AU size, then VxFS can hit this
condition. So, in terms of future avoidance

>>always create file systems with 1 block more than a multiple of 2^15 blocks
>>(and apply the same restriction when growing or shrinking file systems), then
>>we'll always have enough hidden space to grow the fs.

Note: that's file system block size which is 1k (default), 2k, 4k, or 8k.
My source also offered some possibilities on why even removing files didn't
allow them to grow.

1. this may be because we need to allocate 8k extents as part of growing an fs
and the files he removed didn't have any 8k or larger extents.

(if that's the case then he would be able to make space to grow by removing
files with larger extents*.)

I'm sorry I didn't think of his second suggestion immediately, as it happens
not infrequently:

2. or maybe he had a checkpoint and the blocks for the files he removed just
got transferred to the ckpt, in which case he would need to remove the ckpt

*You can get some extent information for an individual file from fsadm_vxfs,
e.g.,:

$ <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</export/data/tpm/customers>$>  fsadm -t vxfs -E -f
mynovel.txt
  Extent Fragmentation Report
        Total    Average      Average     Total
        Files    File Blks    # Extents   Free Blks
            1          84           4   211974585

The free blocks information is for the file system as a whole. With 84 blocks
and 4 extents, one of them must be at least 8k in this example.

(the above example is -t for linux; use -F for Solaris|HPUX or -V for AIX)

Regards,
Scott