Hey TheDO,

Generally the best way to build apps around other apps is to include
their functionality with programming libraries they provide. That way
you can access all the functions right in the programming language
which has the least overhead and is usually less error prone.

Another way to build an app like Versions would be communicating with
the command line program. That means that you have to "manually" send
text commands to the app and parse it's output (this is called
piping). This way it would be possible to replace the binary that
Versions communicates with, but as we would really rely on the input
and output it will break easily. Plus, we could never get the app as
fast as it is now.

Hope that explains it :-)

Koen