On 29 Mar, 13:18, Koen Bok <k...@madebysofa.com> wrote:
> Hey TheDO,
>
> Generally the best way to build apps around other apps is to include
> their functionality with programming libraries they provide. That way
> you can access all the functions right in the programming language
> which has the least overhead and is usually less error prone.
>
> Another way to build an app like Versions would be communicating with
> the command line program. That means that you have to "manually" send
> text commands to the app and parse it's output (this is called
> piping). This way it would be possible to replace the binary that
> Versions communicates with, but as we would really rely on the input
> and output it will break easily. Plus, we could never get the app as
> fast as it is now.
>
> Hope that explains it :-)

You are missing the point. No-one has ever thought of using the
command line, given that Subversions ships with a very nice set of
dynamic libraries. The point of TheDO was that Version is currently
shipped with two sets of such dynamic libraries, one for v1.4.6 and
one for v1.5.4. You can select the set you prefer and Versions will
use that one. That's nice. However, on my machine I have installed in /
usr/lib Subversion v1.5.6 so that I can happily use it in XCode. But
Version is stuck with v1.5.4.

I believe it is perfectly feasible to have a preference in Version to
make it use the libraries in /usr/lib instead of the one shipped with
Versions. If we had that, I could just install the v1.6 libraries in /
usr/lib and we wouldn't need to wait for the next update of Versions
to use them.

Just my opinion,

Ganesh