Well, Tony, you of all people have earned the right to be a purist.
Besides that, a strike indicator (especially a fluorescent orange
Thingamabobber) would NEVER look right on one of your beautiful bamboo
rods!

Here is another downside to strike indicators... I can't reel past
them, and if I am fishing long deep holes (which is the only situation
where I use them) I have to land a fish with 12 feet of line between
the fish and me.

If I am fishing in shallow water, I would rather use a big fly with a
dropper, and use the fly as the strike indicator.  One of my favorites
is a stimulator.  I haven't had much success with fish taking them on
top, but if I strip it in at the end of a drift it makes a passable
streamer and often gets hard strikes.

Yes, I am disappointed about Sowbug to, and I especially hope you will
get on the mend and feel yourself again.

I still hope the stars will align, and I can make it out this summer.

Tom