  From: the smith's
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:19 AM
  Subject: Re: [VFB] First Edition Fly Fishing Books

  There will be a string of numbers in sequence near the bottom of the page. so
if it were the number two it indicates a second printing. first printings will
have the number one in the string of numbers. keep your books out of direct sun
light, room temp around 72 degrees and humidity in the low 50s. put them up
right and never pack them in  tight as this will cause the boards (covers) to
warp. If the book hangs over the edge of the shelf lay it flat so there is no
over hang.
  Martink's books are very collectable just lay them flat.
  An inscribed book seems to have more value because the person was present
when it was signed or was a person known to the author and he/she took more
time to personalize the book.
  many times a signed book can be bought from a book dealer.  Something I have
seen several times, and have one by Steve Raymond is a signed paste in card
with the authors signature on it.
  For me to paste into his book!  To me that is the height of laziness.   Many
of my books are inscribed to Diane.  I had them done that way as I expected her
to out live me.  She passed away five years ago from ovarian cancer.  The only
time the to will really increase the price is when the book is inscribed to
someone more or less famous.
  Chuck is right about the dust jackets. Some collectors go to the extreme of
storing them separate and flattened.
  Any sunlight will cause fading over time even indirect light, so pick your
site for your bookcases with care.
  Gary S.