From: the smith's <aflyt...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VFB] First Edition Fly Fishing Books
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Sunday, January 3, 2010, 12:19 AM

There will be a string of numbers in sequence near
the bottom of the page. so if it were the number two it indicates a second
printing. first printings will have the number one in the string of numbers.
keep your books out of direct sun light, room temp around 72 degrees and
humidity in the low 50s. put them up right and never pack them in  tight as
this will cause the boards (covers) to warp. If the book hangs over the edge of
the shelf lay it flat so there is no over hang.
Martink's books are very collectable just lay them
flat.
An inscribed book seems to have more value because
the person was present when it was signed or was a person known to the author
and he/she took more time to personalize the book.
many times a signed book can be bought from a book
dealer.  Something I have seen several times, and have one by Steve Raymond
is a signed paste in card with the authors signature on it.
For me to paste into his book!  To me that is
the height of laziness.   Many of my books are inscribed to
Diane.  I had them done that way as I expected her to out live me.
She passed away five years ago from ovarian cancer.  The only time the to
will really increase the price is when the book is inscribed to someone more or
less famous.
Chuck is right about the dust jackets. Some
collectors go to the extreme of storing them separate and
flattened.
Any sunlight will cause fading over time even
indirect light, so pick your site for your bookcases with care.
Gary S.