To: <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:21 PM
Subject: RE: [VFB] Finding hooks and backing for Fly boxes

I am interjecting a thought here to start a thread in the middle of the
discussion about hooks and hook prices, etc.  Forgive me.  Here is my
question:

How do you-all manage hook storage?  I am convinced that most of you
have at least as many hook styles and sizes as I do.  I really like the
large boxes with 12 or 15 separate compartments.  Spirit River sells
them specifically for hooks...  I take the label from the hook packages
and glue them to the side of each compartment.  It's a good system, and
identifies each style and size correctly.  However, there is a lot of
wasted space in these big boxes unless you buy enough hooks to fill the
compartments.  I have them stacked up and handy near my vise.  Do you
label these boxes for dry fly hooks, wets, streamers, etc.?
I have waited a while to bring this subject up, but this is as good a
time as any.
Thanks for "listening".  I will be waiting for all your good ideas.

Larry Johnson
Springville, Utah

"Wayne Blake-Hedges" <wayneb22...@yahoo.com> 9/21/2010 1:29 PM >>>
Hi Jim;

Here are a couple of hook ideas:

http://stores.ebay.com/Har-Lee-Rod/MUSTAD-HOOK-SALE-/_i.html?_fsub=1624363018&_sid=15998378&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

first is Harleerod, selling Mustad classic hook styles, can be had for
as little as $0.99 per 500 plus shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/Togens-Fly-Shop/Hooks-/_i.html?_fsub=4996021&_sid=302050183&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Second, Togens fly shop has hooks in contemproary styles for as little
as $7.50 per hundred plus shipping.

For fly storage, a lot of people have been making thier own fly boxes
from inexpensive plastic boxes and craft foam.

Here's one example:
http://dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-flats-fly-box-for-under-five-bucks.html

Another:  http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/2825

Hope this helps;