There are already many legal ramifications when you try to take water out of
any of the Great Lakes.  Just one "local" example:
The city of Waukesha, WI is located only 15 miles from Lake Michigan.  The
drinking water from their wells contains high levels of radon.
They are not permitted to get water from Lake Michigan because their drainage
basin does not return water to the lake.  It goes down the Fox
River to the Mississippi River.  They have been trying to get an exemption for
a good while. I don't think they have gotten one so far.

Then  there is a little item called the Great Lakes  Water Compact.  Eight
States and two or three Canadian Provinces that border the Lakes.   I believe
the main reason for their existence is to prevent water from the Great Lakes
being used anywhere else.   I'm not saying myself that I agree with that
philosophy.  But I'm pretty sure that western states residents would consider
any suggestion to take water from their rivers or reservoirs to ship somewhere
else to be fighting words.  Just an aside.  For several years the water levels
in the Great Lakes have been below the normal averages. Some Lakes were one to
two feet low.  It doesn't sound like much compared to 130 feet. But with lakes
the size of Superior and Michigan it probably equals or surpasses the loss in
Lake Mead.  Only in the last two have they returned to normal.   Of course any
final decision on water usage from the Great Lakes will have to be a Federal
one with the usual years of Congressional debates before anything happens.  I
just wanted to point out that it isn't just an engineering problem that will
have to be resolved to get water from an area with an "abundance" to those
areas with "shortages".