Hmm... it would appear thtat the WinTV PVR project has just gotten far enough to
initialize the card and be able to use it as a normal bttv card.  Pretty
impressive, since they're reverse engineering the drivers, but doesn't help me
too much. (I wanna get something working soon. :) )

RE: the 250/350's encode /decode restrictions

Does that mean you can't use the 350 to decode an MPEG/DVD and display it on the
monitor?  Or just that you can't save the uncompressed video/audio to disk?

And while it'd be nice to be able to compress video generated by the computer
(eg: video editing software) I don't know that I'd ever use it as such.

Is the 350's decoder really necessary if your video card has a built-in mpeg
decoder?

I was looking at the myth-tv project for a while, but they do all their mpeg
encoding in software, and they have problems with the audio and video losing
sync. :(

maybe the 250/350 is where I should be planning to spend my money....

Unless someone can give another hardware encoder a glowing recommendation...