On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, barryc wrote:

> RE: the 250/350's encode /decode restrictions
>
> Does that mean you can't use the 350 to decode an MPEG/DVD and display it on the
> monitor?  Or just that you can't save the uncompressed video/audio to disk?

Yes, the 350 will decode from disk to its onboard output.  Older 250's can also
decode, but they have nowhere to send it[1][2].  Note that neither I nor Kevin
have access to a 350, so support for decode is a little, um, non-existant ;)
H-P is/was looking at it, but I think he got diverted.

Note that while the iTVC15 does support 6ch. AC3, the Hauppauge cards are only
wired to support stereo input (and output I think).

> Is the 350's decoder really necessary if your video card has a built-in mpeg
> decoder?

Assuming you have a driver for it, no.  Except for the dxr2/dxr3 cards, I'm
not aware of any other decompression drivers.  I'd love to hear about any
others.

> I was looking at the myth-tv project for a while, but they do all their mpeg
> encoding in software, and they have problems with the audio and video losing
> sync. :(

One of Kevin's goals was to add Hardware compression to MythTV.  At the moment
we're focused on the ivtv driver

FWIW, Miguel Freitas has written a plugin for Xine to do "live pause" :)

> maybe the 250/350 is where I should be planning to spend my money....

All I can say is that I'm quite happy with my 250.  I'm hoping to get my hands
on another board, possibly a 350, so I can put this one into "production", so
to speak ;)

John

[1] They lack the Video encoded and upgraded sound processor required.

[2] I speculate that a minimally clever driver can use the stock firmware to
transfer decoded MPG back to the host.