Heh.  Looks like on Feb 26, when they changed the site layout, they also updated
the FAQ.

Used to be there was an entry where the "question" was something along the lines
of: "After a while, audio and video start drifting out of sync." and the answer
was "It does."

Now, there are two entries - one about having the mixer settings wrong, and this
one:

*BLOCKQUOTE*
"The audio and video are not synchronised by a small but varying amount"

The way that the audio and video are synchronised relies on the realtime
reporting capability of the sound card that you are using. This requires that
the sound driver that you use supports the DSP_CAP_REALTIME capability. Older
versions of Alsa (0.5) don't support this, newer ones (0.9) do.
*/BLOCKQUOTE*