On Saturday 22 March 2003 08:56 am, barryc wrote:
> Heh.  Looks like on Feb 26, when they changed the site layout, they also
> updated the FAQ.
>
> Used to be there was an entry where the "question" was something along the
> lines of: "After a while, audio and video start drifting out of sync." and
> the answer was "It does."

There has never been any such thing in the FAQ.  See the CVS log here:
http://cvs.mythtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MC/FAQ
and please show me where that question/answer is.  Previous to the website
update, the FAQ link on the webpage was just a link to the doc in CVS.

> Now, there are two entries - one about having the mixer settings wrong, and
> this one:
>
> *BLOCKQUOTE*
> "The audio and video are not synchronised by a small but varying amount"
>
> The way that the audio and video are synchronised relies on the realtime
> reporting capability of the sound card that you are using. This requires
> that the sound driver that you use supports the DSP_CAP_REALTIME
> capability. Older versions of Alsa (0.5) don't support this, newer ones
> (0.9) do.
> */BLOCKQUOTE*

This exact bit of text has been in the FAQ since October, along with a similar
warning during program execution if ALSA was old enough to cause problems.

If you're actually seeing a/v sync problems with mythtv, please submit a
detailed bug report to the mythtv-dev mailing list, and I'll be happy to work
with you to fix it.  If you're not, then, well...

Isaac