On 10/27/05, Josh Leo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The final example that we brought up is the KItkast....um SEX....what does the internet revolve around? SEX. I tell you that if i had themed content specifically centered around Grand Rapids, Backpacking, Geocaching, or folk music, I would not be appealing to the majority of the internet crowd that makes up our viewership. Sure I would bring in all the people who live in GR , or those online backpackers, but the rest of the tech-savy people would be bored because I am not talking about T&A or iPods...

I think you're underestimitizing your audience.  These themes may not garner you a big audience immediately, like say, a tech theme or sex theme, but eventually if you plug away, your audience will find you.  There aren't TV channels dedicated to any of those things, as far as I know.

I agree, if you started making all your videos about geocaching, you'd probably lose some eyeballs.  But that's in the short term.  Eventually, the geocachers of the world would find you.  I'm willing to be that there are more people out there that want to see you talk about geocaching than there are that want to hear you talk about buttering your toast and going to work (I haven't seen a video about that...just an example, please don't yell at me toast-buttering employed vlogger whoever you are).

It all comes down to what you want to do with videoblogging, right?
If you're doing it as a creative outlet, then just do whatever the fuck you want.  Some people may watch, but why should you care?
If you're doing it to communicate with friends, then you shouldn't really care about a bigger audience either.

If you do want a bigger audience, just follow this guys advice:

--
AQ
bullemhead.com

Themed content is easy to understand but it still comes down to producing quality content. A personal vlog that is made in such a way that it is entertaining, well produced, and compelling has a better chance at gaining a large audience than a well-produced vlog about a niche market.

so in conclusion

-The internet is dominated of sex-crazed, tech-savy males
-content that apeals to these characteristics has a better chance than other more minute niche topics
-content that is well-made, and compelling is more important than theme
-if your aim is large viewership, focus on what you think is interesting, and make it good
-in the end, I like cat videos a lot.... vlogcats.blogspot.com

i am sure there is something someone can get pissed off about in what i just wrote...but seriously, let's not get too bent out of shape here...i love it all and this isn't life...that is what we should be filming

--
Josh Leo

joshleo.com
stonefarm.blogspot.com