You're quite right, Josh: no audio input, no control over audio at all.

A very important consideration when purchasing a camera.

<
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/gimme/storereframe.php?
session=110898726&view=item&item=beachtek_dxa-6 >

This Beach Box ($400) linked to above is one way to interface
professional microphones that need power and XLR cables to a simple
1/8" stereo input on a camera. It's compact and can be attached to the
bottom of the camera via its mounting screw so camera and "mixer"
become one unit.

You can probably find them used from time to time.

Jan

--
"It isn't done alone. Pay more."
.

On Dec 5, 2005, at 2:35 PM, Josh Leo wrote:

>  ah Sony...yeah for some reason they decided to do away with teh Audio
> input on the handycams after the HC20 (I ended up paying $418 for
> mine)...as for wireless microphone inputs...i dont think you can
> connect an external mic to a camera if there is no input...wireless
> don't work for those...
>
> On 12/5/05, Randolfe Wicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:I have a
> problem insofar as my Sony HC42 mini-dv camera only has a shoe on top
> and two clip on microphones available.
>>
>> I really need to have some way to get direct mick plug in.  Is there
>> some sort of wireless of plug in microphone that can be connected via
>> the shoe on top of the camera?
>>
>> It's really ridiculous because the camera cost $800 last March.  I
>> really thought I had researched everything but I didn't think of the
>> audio.  I have a wireless mike for my old Hi8 camcorder.  Audio is
>> really almost 50% of good video.
>>

>> Randolfe (Randy) Wicker
>>
>> Videographer, Writer, Activist
>> Advisor: The Immortality Institute