I'm late to the conversation so here's my .02 worth.

For me *personally*, sponsorships and advertising doesn't start with a single
medium.
Sure, I'll put a product or in rare cases an ad in my vlog, podcast or, more
directly-- the
feed-- but a medium in isolation, well, that's reaching only a fraction of my
viewers,
listeners, or readers.

Yet the one thing remains the same-- the text that surrounds everything. I
guarantee that
if I landed a sponsorship with a car manufacturer--especially if it's a cool
one-- I'm gonna
be blogging that; we're gonna be talking about it on the various audio
podcasts; and you
can be damn sure I'm going to be sticking cameras on everywhere there's a flat
surface on
the thing.

My delta is HTML + XML views for my blog. I can provide a good number there
that's much
more accurate than any number given for audio or video (iTunes alone completely
breaks
the tracking statistics-- take Rocketboom and my Xmas vacation-- I didn't open
iTunes
for a week, and with its default configuration, it downloaded only the most
recent
episode--giving RB an invalid number. Unless audience does not equal 'watching
every
episode', which I think they might want it to, I'm just guessing).

What I 'sell' is a brand. And at the risk of sounding like I'm stealing from
Fast Company's
playbook, it's the brand called me. I have certain responsibilities to
sponsors, reporting
and such. I firmly believe it's part of my job to also educate a
sponsor/potential sponsor
on the new vibe of getting their message out.

Take your ROI and CPM and chuck that out the window. We're living in a world
where that
starts to mean diddly squat.

I'll set a price, set the expectations, and the sponsor cay say yea or nay...
similar to the
notion that if you had a million bucks to spend on a house, and you had to
choose
between downtown or in the countryside, your money is going to buy a completely
different set of pros and cons. (On a side note, I live in the middle of the
boonies... takes
me 90 minutes to get into San Fran... a big irritation, yet there are
*different* payoffs for
having more space in the middle of nature).

Even if the video or audio isn't online anymore, the blog text still is. So a
random passerby
will see that a podcast was sponsored by (insert food stuff name here) and
suddenly either
a) curse me or b) be hungry cuz i had to go and mention (food stuff name here).

Keep in mind in all this sponsorship talk, it doesn't have to be some
big-ol-honkin'
conglomerate... Go get free schwag from a local skate/surf shop or something.
Indie
people can advertise in indie media and it's still a little bit punk rock.

Punk rock with the rent paid, anyway.

-ER : ericrice.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "LeanBackVids.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>