On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:29:08 +0200, Deirdre Straughan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 4/25/06, Halcyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> **My experience with fake death online**
>>
>> Many years ago, I encouraged a young girl (that worked for me
>> remotely at collegeclub.com) with cancer to start a blog.
>> After she got quite a following, she eventually died.
>> It turned out she never existed. "Kaycee Nicole" was a made up
>> persona.
>> I had to deal with ALOT of backlash and internal struggles, as well.
>
> Not knowing this particular case, I don't know if this applies, but it
> seems to me that someone trying to manipulate sympathies in this way
> and get attention actually does have some deep problems that need
> addressing - just not necessarily cancer!

Just an FYI. The Kaycee Nicole case is almost a mandatory topic when
reading about blogs (it's certainly referenced a lot!). For once Snopes
has better coverage than Wikipedia:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/kaycee.htm

--
Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen