Im not looking to put anybody off this sort of action, but I think the
arbitrary acceptable use policy stuff is an internet-wide problem. To
cover themselves, just about every hosting service Ive ever seen has
terms and conditions about what content is acceptable, and many of the
terms are vague.

People certainly should draw attention to services which are
trigger-happy about removing stuff without good cause. Youtube are
likely to show up as an offender a lot because of their sheer size,
and as I sepculated earlier, they may be trying to save themselves
from copyright lawsuits, but doing it in a way that also removes some
legitimate content, and this is not good or nice to their users for
them to be so careless. I know Richard Bluestein called for a boycott
on youtube because he was banned and though it was due to being gay or
hosting gay content, whereas after some research I thought it was more
likely because some trailers he uploaded had lots of naked breasts,
and western society doesnt mind exploiting breasts for profit but the
mainstream has a nipple phobia.

So anyway theoretically most services are flawed in the sense that
almost anybody could find their content falling foul of the terms &
conditions, even if their content is innocent enough, and as far as I
know the services dont even have an obligation to contact people who
are banned and explian exactly why. I think legal issues will stop
terms & conditions from changing that much, so the best we can hope
for is that in practice many services are careful, think of their
users, engage in dialogue and careful checking of material before
hitting the big red delete button. Whatever the reasons behind
youtubes removal of the content in this case, its certainly sloppy and
shows no sense of responsibility to users who upload legitimate videos.

As for the grey area where content might actually be deemed offensive
or innapropriate, offends certain people, causes a stink and gets
banned, I guess those involved in any way with sex or porn side of
video have experience of this sort of thing. Even companies that
appear to have enlightened attitude towards such things, may change
policy at any time and suddenly crackdown on such content.

Cheers

Steve Elbows