Greetings,

Interesting stuff. Heres my personal take on this:

Using Creative Commons means that people certainly dont have any
obligation to contact you first in order to fully redistribute
(including re-host) your work, or make derivative works from parts of
your show. Under the terms of the license you use, they can pretty
much do what they like with your stuff so long as its non-commercial,
they give attribution to you, the new work is shared by the same
terms, and they display your license.

The wording on their site which made it sound like you were a member,
is probably not a copyright/creative commons issue, unless they failed
to disclose your cc license, or attribute/link back to you. In cases
where they do that but still make it seems like you are an active
member of their community, I would think areas of the law that deal
with misrepresentation and fraud are more likely to apply.

Your own site does not appear to link to your creative commons license
info, which strictly speaking means you arent using creative commons
properly, according to their own instructions. The knock-on affect of
this is that other sites do not have to put a URL to your page when
they show your work (because the creative commons license specifies
that the page linked to must have creative commons license details
within it)

The issue of controlling how your show is represented, what quotes are
used, whether a misleading impression is given, is not often discussed
in the vlogging community so far. Copyright (and thus creative
commons) are only part of this side of the things. The following is
taken from the creative commons site, it may not be 100% applicable in
this case because I dont know if ourmedias use constituted a
derivative or collective work, but its in the right area of the law:

"I don't like the way a person has used my work in a derivative work
or included it in a collective work; what can I do?

If you do not like the way that a person has made a derivative work or
incorporated your work into a collective work, under the Creative
Commons licenses, you may request removal of your name from the
derivative work or the collective work.

In addition, the copyright laws in most jurisdictions around the world
(with the notable exception of the US) grant creators "moral rights"
which may provide you with some redress if a derivative work
represents a "derogatory treatment" of your work. Moral rights give an
original author the right to object to "derogatory treatment" of their
work; "derogatory treatment" is typically defined as "distortion or
mutilation" of the work or treatment, which is "prejudicial to the
honor, or reputation of the author." All Creative Commons licenses
(with the exception of Canada) leave moral rights unaffected. This
means that an original author may be able to take action against a
derivative work that infringes the moral right that protects against
derogatory treatment. Of course, not all derivative works that a
creator does not like will be considered "derogatory."

So you need to study moral rights or equivalent US law (if any) to see
how much this applies. Bear in mind this is largely a copyright issue,
using creative commons does not change things very much here.

For example, even if your work was fully copyrighted, some countries
have 'fair use' rights, which include certain educational uses,
parody, and quoting. There are therefore various circumstances in
which I would be fairly confident I would be able to take a snippet
from your show and highlight it or use it in some other context, even
if you use ful copyright. This is a fairly grey area, but the point is
that even normal copyright has its limitations.

Personally I think your fear of beind misrepresented by others is
understandable, as is the instinct to try to stop this, but it is
something most creators have to put up with to a certain extent, and
is an issue that have existed long before vlogging and the internet
came along.

To clamp down on this stuff to the maximum extent possible, other laws
need to be used, in areas such as trademarks, libel and defamation.
Even then there are limits to how far you can take things, and the
specific case you highlight does not seem like a prime candidate for
using any of those laws. Consider trademarking your name and logo as a
way of stopping people misusing you in ways far greater than are being
considered today.

But when it comes to how much to try and clamp don on people casting
you in the 'wrong light', I think you are hoping for too much control.
Politicians have to get used to being misquoted, and of all sorts of
accusations. There are legal mechanisms which they can use to try to
put people off the worst of this, but at the end of the day they have
to take most of it on the chin. Creative people in traditional media
are powerless to stop reviewers etc from saying almost anything they
like. Michael Moore, The Dixy Chicks and many others, are powerless to
prevent a billion words of hate from right wing media, even if its
totally blown out of all proportion, although they can of course go
down the libel route if the lie gets too big.

If fox news decided to paint you as liberal propaganda, or of 'helping
the enemy', is there anything to stop them taking a load of clips that
make you seem more onesided than the shows actually are? Despite all
my waffle, I dont know.

In conclusion, its a personal choice for you to find a balance you are
comfortable with or can live with, and then see whether the laws
realistically match up. Being misrepresented is a pitfall that anybody
who puts stuff out there can suffer from. Id say to be wary of being
too heavy handed lest the measures you take in response end up doing
more harm than the original act.

If you want to be approached by people before they reuse your stuff in
any way, would rather they always err'd on the side of caution and
contacted you first to discuss, then you probably shouldnt be using
creative commons, because its supposed to remove that doubt from the
mind of the re-user under most scenario's. The reality of internet
copyright and how it maps to peoples morals and what businesses think
they can get away with, means that even full copyright wont stop
abuses of various kinds, but at least those who want to do the right
thing will have a clearer idea of what you expect of them.

Specifically regarding your stuff and being seen as biased, Im afraid
its inescapable to a certain extent. Iraq war is closely associated
with Bush and the rightwing. If it had been a success and your videos
of real life in Baghdad showed a happy and safe people, so much better
than when Saddam was in power in every way, then the left might
generally regard your show as being pro-bush and to the right. But as
the realities of Baghdad are not so kind, and the war is largely seen
as a failure, virtually anything that mentions Iraq at all, and deals
with reality, is likely to be damaging to Bush & friends, and so some
on the right may think its leftie propaganda. Now in both of these
scenarios Alive In Baghdad would have been showing the reality without
bias, its those on the outside who will project bias onto it depending
on their own politics.

Being an impartial source does not prevent your stuff being used by
one side or the other to suit their cause, unfortunately. I dont know
if history has any hints for good ways to deal with this.

Im not quite sure what ourmedia has to do with the openness of the
community in general. I dont think theres one community, I dont think
openness about certain things, due to culture of blogging & vlogging
about stuff that used to be 'behind the scenes', actually translates
to general openness, 'if in doubt, ask', extra moral-sensitivity, or
any sort of 'guarantee' that humans and services within the community
will automatically behave any differently to what we've come to expect
from humans. I recognise that there are quite a lot of people I would
describe as having 'homourable intentions' within the various
ever-changing groups that have comprised this community, and much of
the pioneering stuff on the videoblog front. But I hesitate to put too
much emphasis on this, it is no guarauntee that the whole vlogosphere
will have ethics to be marveled at as a result. Theres always a need
for people to speak up, openness does not mean they will always make
the first move or be hyper-aware of their actions and never make a
mistake, its a lot about how they respond once complaints have been
made. Youve raised some interesting issues, the response will be the
key to how good and open the community is, the original mistake is
surely not about openness?

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, brian conley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey Videobloggers!
>
> I am running into some problems with a content aggregator, and I
could use your advice.  We have been discussing these issues a lot
lately—and I have a new one, that is beginning to make me reconsider
my creative commons licensing and would love to know what you all think.

> (I apologize in advance for the length of this email, but I believe
this is important to discuss thoroughly)

> This is a different issue than MyHeavy or the others who aggregate
without attribution and/or commercially exploit our work.

> This morning I discovered that the work of one of my projects, Alive
in Baghdad, had been posted on the front page of http://ourmedia.com.
 (I have enclosed a screen capture for your reference.)  Not only did
noone request the use of our work, or inform us of our inclusion on
this site, but OurMedia  presents our work in a way that could be
significantly harmful to our project.

> At first glance, the presentation of our work on OurMedia suggests
to the average viewer that AIB has a political, anti-war stance and
that AIB is a part of OurMedia. In fact this could not be farther from
the truth, AiB takes pains to present a balanced view of life in Iraq,
that simply shows the experiences and feelings of Iraqis, without
adding a political tone.

> Basically—in representing AIB, OurMedia selected a thumbnail of a
woman with a translated quote underneath that says "May God Curse Bush
and all those that brought him here."  Obviously, this is not a quote
that we would choose to have represent us. We worried about including
that segment at all and feared that, out of context, separate from our
other work, it could cause harm to the public face of the project,
bring flamers, etc.  However, inside of the entire episode, we felt it
was acceptable and was reflective of the situation in Iraq. We care
deeply about building a project that gives voice to Iraqi citizens—not
towards pushing a political agenda.  Such a posting can damage the
perceptions of Alive in Baghdad and our future opportunities.

> Additionally, OurMedia indicates that we are a member of their
organization—i.e. you'll notice to the right of the thumbnail, it
lists a link titled "member page" that links to AliveinBaghdad.org.
AiB is not, nor has it ever been, a member of Ourmedia.  Given our
experience, we question whether they actually have 125,000 members....

> OurMedia claims:
> 1) We're a nonprofit, open-source, volunteer effort to support the
community...Ourmedia is for users, not just consumers.

> 2) Ourmedia also says at the top of their front page:  Do NOT post
other artists' copyrighted works without permission. Ourmedia is about
showcasing your creativity! Register now
<http://www.ourmedia.org/user/register> !

> Noone from OurMedia has contacted us in any manner—and we are not
members of their community. However, we are well known throughout the
"vlogosphere" and eminently approachable. And yet, they chose to post
our video in the most incendiary manner possible, without our
permission.

> If this is permissible under our creative commons license, we will
need to reconsider our licensing choices and how  freely we allow the
distribution of our videos. It also makes us question the openness
supposedly present in the Videobloggers community. I'd really
appreciate your thoughts and advice on this issue.