I reckon part of the cause of that is that many implementations of
embedded metadata were done many years before video took off on the
net. So there are cobwebs all over the place, no buzz, no hoards of
would-be web 2 billionaries creating new versions of the tools, and
largely no recognition by the original implementers (eg Apple with
quicktime) that they could dig up these slumbering efforts and merge
them with the new generation of net video & syndication & smil and
whatever.

It wouldnt be easy, theres a bit too much overlap, and things arent
joined up enough. Its a pain for the user to enter the metadata into
the media with the poor GUI things like quicktime give to do it. Then
no site/software bothers reading this embedded information, or your
video gets transcoded into another format and its lost. SMIL could be
used and could be embedded in a mov, but then pure mp4 is mor
compatible with a range of devices. And quicktime supports SMIL 1 and
real player on my phone supports SMIL 2. Mess, mess, mess.

So I gave up on that sort of thing, and look to flash to provide a
glossy wrapper that delivers the results that would ideally be
possible using 1 technology & embedded metadata, but in reality are
coming from all sorts of different sources and are mashed together nicely.

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, joshpaul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, metadata is key. There are already hooks available, it just
seems that
> the vast majority of people aren't using them. In other words, the major
> video containers provide methods to embed metadata, so that it
travels with
> the file itself.
>
> Maybe this is something the video vertigo team would be willing to
tackle? (
> i.e. key/value pairs)
>
> On 4/15/07, Enric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,