This list does discuss technology a lot. And some questions get more
replies / better answers than others.

The discussion about said racist video is important, I believe. The
discussion started with several people saying — "hey, it's ok. The
video isn't funny, but whatever, it was cool" / and other people
countered with "no, it's not ok. It's racist and let's say so." And
then a lot of people had a lot to say. People debated 'What is
censorship?'... What is "feeding the trolls"... What were the
motivations of the person who made the video.... What does racism
look like in the 21st century?... and yes, discussions like this can
get very hard to watch — especially when we are talking about racism
in the United States ("land of the free / home of the brave"). I like
discussions like these, messy as they are, because the debate asks
the people who are participating it in to think. To think about what
they think, notice it, attempt to articulate it. It is rare to get a
chance to think about and talk about racism in our culture(s) — and
yet, social dynamics like the ones that have been discussed dominate
our lives (including censorship / power / money / etc) and affect
most everything going on around us. It is important to talk about
racism in the U.S./U.K. and elsewhere. If it's not talked about, it
goes unchecked, passed on from person to person.

Congrats on your videoblog! David Howell just pointed me over to it
the other day, and I've been watching all your videos with great
interest. I spent a month in Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia last summer,
and a month the summer before, working on a multimedia opera about
Nikola Tesla. I feel a strong connection to Belgrade and Croatia now,
and have many friends there. I know ethnicity / nationality has
played a huge role in what life is like in the former Yugoslavia for
the last 10-15 years. Maybe that's why you really don't want this
list to be going on and on about race-based tensions. While it may
sound like people are angry with each other — the debate in the U.S.
does not carry with it the nationalism that could start a war. That
war ended in 1865, and while we haven't completely gotten over it,
there not been any movement to restart it for about three decades now.

And this discussion will end in a week or so. And we'll start
debating something else with a lot of controversy — usually talking
about advertising or Hollywood business models gets things going. ;-)
Read the list email in a program / environment that sorts things into
threads, and then delete all the email from any discussion that you
don't want to be part of without having to read any of it. Two
thousand emails a month are too many for most all of us.

And keep posting your technical questions! Somebody answer GoGen's
questions! Rupert is really one of the people who get movlogging.

zdravo,
Jen

On Aug 8, 2007, at 8:09 am, gogen001 wrote:

> As a newbie in this group I somehow thought it would be more
> technical, unfortunately there's a lot of (unnecessary?) flaming going
> around some racist or whatever they are videos, while, for example,
> the post about movlogging with bluetooth remains with only two
> replies.
>
> OK, my bad if I expected something different.
> Sorry, I'm just being sincere.
>
> PS
> David, I'm posting below your reply 'cause I know you better than
> others, no other reasons.
>
> GoGen
> www.gogentv.com
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > This group should be ashamed.
> > It should be ashamed over what is happening to it right here with
> this
> > discussion.
> > The only thing I can say at this point about Feldman, Podtech,
> Scoble,
> > AND this group as a whole with the infighting is "*pfffft*"
> > David

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: