Bill said:

For some reason, I can watch Jonny chat for 45 minutes or Phil talk
about his tech ideas for an hour with no problem... Yet I found myself
struggling through 8  at a time of scripted "follow these characters
through their 'adventures'" type of programming. It has to do with the
fack that Jonny and Phil are live. You don't know what's going to
happen.

I think that is an interesting observation Bill - part of it is bc it
is live but I also think part of it is you know them - you have  a
personal connection with them, not to mention their topics.  We are
seeing an increasingly short attention span with our multitasking
hyper-stimulated lifestyles. You said, "You don't know what's going to
happen" but at the same time, you do  know - in the sense that your
friends are a known quantity and quality - you know your time is not
wasted bc even if nothing outrageous happens, you have shared energy
with people you like/love. You won't have completely "wasted" your
time, which is how I sometimes feel after watching "entertainment."

The challenge for producers, big and small, is how to capture
someone's interest (emotional or intellectual) in a shorter and
shorter amount of time so that you even have a chance to make that
personal connection.

This does not seem to apply to things that are truly short form and
purely comedic, as evidenced by the higher viewing numbers of
frenchmaid and ninja.  Comedy is in its own world, but as we see, that
is not easy to do!

Rox

--
Roxanne Darling