Further to Dedman's analysis, add that when I see life-produced material
(vlogging), I know that 100 or more people did *not give 90 percent of their
lives to the production company for how ever many months or weeks in order
to produce that entertainment.

The way the numbers shake out for making television or films, it behooves
production companies to knock product out in the shortest amount of time
possible. Locations and equipment rentals are expensive. You can shoot an
episode in 8 days (typical), edit it in 8 days, and have an episode to air.
If each day is 12 or 14 or 16 or 18 hours long - so be it. Life goes by
quickly when all you do is work and sleep. Many people in the film business
live their lives that way for long stretches of time. It amazes me to think
it's so.

My point is when you actually know people (as Jay suggests), production
values and compelling storyline don't matter. What matters is love and/or
respect, and being in close contact with what those beloved folks find
important to share.

What matters is that everyday folks can make media without giving up most of
their lives in order to do it.

Were I to make a feature film or television show under the old model, I
would have to give up everything for a couple years to make that happen.

How does one make a feature film or "show" while living a full, human,
connected life at the same time?

With current tools (and some improvements in workflow to come) this is now
possible without the high price of mortgaging many years in exchange.

That's what interests me these days.

To make good media fast. To make a living doing it. To live while doing it
and not miss a step.

Jan

--
The Faux Press - better than real