Hi everyone:

On Nov 11, 2007 11:02 AM, Jay dedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > For some reason, I can watch Jonny chat for 45 minutes or Phil talk
>  > about his tech ideas for an hour with no problem... Yet I found myself
>  > struggling through 8 at a time of scripted "follow these characters
>  > through their 'adventures'" type of programming. It has to do with the
>  > fack that Jonny and Phil are live. You don't know what's going to
>  > happen.
>
>  here's the problem i have with online "shows" that attempt to use actors:
>  a mixture of good acting, writing, and production is extremely rare.

Yes it is.  HOWEVER.....

>  Look at network TV that has hundreds of thousands of dollars to throw
>  at their shows.

That's what lures the best writers and actors to network TV.

>  Its not about money, its about that creative magic that we celebrate and
> crave.

And the REALISM.  Don't forget that Jay.

>  These new web series that rely on writing and actors are in the same boat.
>  yes, money would certainly help let people create while earning a
>  well-deserved living.

Yes it would HOWEVER....

>  Ultimately though, ive got the same tough standards I do for any kind
>  of fiction; I have no patience for clumsy acting and unimaginative
>  writing whether it be online or on TV or on the big screen

But at least the acting is REAL.

Being a long time TV soap fan and now an online soap writer, you get
to recognize all the classic symptoms of someone doing the impossible.
 People being brought back from the dead.  People being cured of
amnesia simply by getting another bonk on the head.  People catching
diseases that are so rare that you have to look it up on WebMD to find
out what it is (And that's assuming THEY'VE even heard of it).  I
mean, it should be of little wonder why people have lost interest in
soaps these days.

In short - THEY'RE NOT REAL ANYMORE.

Now that said, it's true that people are trying to continue the same
o' same' old skool concept.  But I happen to believe that sooner or
later, that concept will be a thing of the past and soap writers will
just simply have to adapt or get out of the profession.  It's just
simple.

>  Videos about life are different from fiction.

That they are.  As anyone who's watched AS MY WORLD TURNS TV lately
can attest to, I ought to know all about this with a certain
life-changing event that will be coming up next month.

>  When i watch videos of people I know, i can be completely engrossed
>  because there's no phoniness.

Me too.  Which is why I like the PEOPLE & BLOGS genre on such places
as YouTube and (Yes!) even MySpace.

Just my opinion...Time for me to put head on pillow now.  Goodnight
everyone.... *Yawn!*

Cheers :D

--
Pat Cook