--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Taylor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Saying sex sells is only a small part of a longstanding and more
> comprehensive theory in advertising that creating a somewhat realistic
> aspirational arrival point for an audience is what sells. This is why we
> have women presenting on many of these shows that are good looking,
but more
> within reach for male audiences than a runway model would be. The
idea that
> these male viewers have somewhat of a "chance" keeps eyes on the
screen, or
> at least encourages the eyes to return to the screen.

Interesting point.  That makes sense.  It also makes sense from a
basic, yet admittedly stereotypical position of "models being models",
and mostly nothing else.  If you hire a model that's TOO attractive,
the viewer isn't going to internally BELIEVE that she actually knows
(or cares) anything about the topic.  I know that's unfair, and that
there are lots of really attractive women that are really intelligent
and have great personalities at the same time.  However, it would be
the same effect as "booth babes" at trade shows or "umbrella girls" @
MotoGP races.  You might feed the booth babes a couple of lines about
the product, but nobody believes they're anything more than hired
guns, designed to "cheat" the viewer into paying attention in the
direction of the product they're standing next to... while they're
wearing spandex in the middle of winter. (not that *I*m complaining
about THAT! :D)

I'm not talking about women that actually know something and are
representatives of the company, but you'll notice that they tend to be
dressed differently, and have a completely different presentation and
presence.  They're expected to be knowledgeable and proficient,
because they're the SUBSTANCE, the bridge between the gawkers coming
by to see the booth babes, and them actually becoming aware of and
interested in buying her company's product.

So, yes... Part of "the formula" is "go good-looking-female, but don't
overdo it!" :D

> When looking across
> the advertising spectrum and into more general interest brands that run
> across demographics, you see that this theory has manifested in more
diverse
> ways than the proliferation of sexuality. There's nothing overtly or
> covertly sexual in Apple's marketing of the iPod, for example, but
there is
> something overtly sexy about how an iPod is marketed.
>
> I personally think it's a bit silly to keep repeating the
> girl-tells-us-about-tech model over and over, lazily avoiding the
> development of new audiences. I'd love to get some research on this,
but I
> hypothesize that these types of shows (Webb Alert, Geekbrief, etc.
> –Rocketboom is a bit different because there's more of a hipster
demo going
> on there) are being watched by the same slowly-growing crowd.

Unfortunately, as "the formula" keeps working, groups are going to
keep *working* it.  LonelyBoy15 would have been a never-viewed
failure.  I agree with you that it's laziness.  At this point in time,
groups are struggling JUST to put a show together, forget about
experimenting with new models! :)  They want to know what attractive
girl they can get, how well she comes across on camera and how much
'cred' she has in whatever the field is.... in THAT order.  'Cred' is
good for initial numbers, but not necessary if she can read what the
ghost-writers feed her.

> I am looking forward to seeing who's going to be brave enough to
throw away
> or at least expand on the girl-on-a-screen model when it comes to tech
> reporting on the web, creating a larger market than the present niche by
> providing aspirational arrival points for more than just males,
primarily
> 18-25, maybe 35. These shows have mastered a niche, but have are not
> bringing other niches to the table as building blocks to a larger
and more
> general audience.

Excellent point.  The target zone is getting younger, not older.
Shows are being made to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like
MTV-watchers, viral video and email-joke-senders.  I had a meeting
with a newspaper owner about bringing his paper online, and his inital
response was "well... that might be good for the younger readers...".
 I think that in general, people are seeing technology as being used
increasingly by younger viewers/users and assuming that older internet
users just fade away.

Using your "aspirational arrival points" theory, the younger a female
lead is in a show, the farther away she gets from being in the AAP of
an older male, who would feel less and less like he "had a chance"
with her, and in some cases would see her more and more as "his
daughter" telling him about tech rather than a respected female peer.

> Entities that appeal to women, especially young women, and
> the heavy-spending and freetime-rich baby boomers as they retire at
> increasing rates will do the best. Repeating the same model just because
> it's been successful before will not do that.

That's another great idea... Appeal TO women. :)  Unfortunately, when
we see demographic poll results of, I believe 8% of Rocketboom's
audience being female AT ALL, I can't see people hustling to attempt
to capture the attention of baby-boomers, as you mention.

However, you could choose to see it as "If only this low amount of
females is watching Rocketboom, what ARE they watching, or what WOULD
they watch if they had their druthers?  I was thinking about this
once, when I had reason to be in a warehouse-type store, due to the
fault of someone who shall remain unnamed [coughdanmcvicarcough].  I
noticed how many people were literally STREAMING past the registers
buying stuff.  I realized I probably could have mentioned to 98% of
them some names of shows that I watch online, and they'd have no clue
that that show existed.  I wondered how to drag all of those people,
aimlessly streaming past me, into viewing an online show.....

--
Bill Cammack
http://CammackMediaGroup.com

> And for Jason – I get your response and agree with much of what you
say. But
> I think you also get that creating a context in which achieving what you
> outlined in your response can live by explain exactly what you did in
> response to me is very important, albeit easily forgotten tedious at
times.

> On 13/11/2007, danielmcvicar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Mike
> > I was flip, but sex is what does sell, in advertising, etc.
> > However, once it is sold, what are you bringign. Not just sex, but a
> > service. You must
> > give some nutrition with dessert, and once you bring people into the
> > community, listen,
> > get involved, and ultimately lead.
> >
> > This is a good discussion
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > "Mike Meiser" <groups-yahoo-com@> wrote:
> > >
> > > And don't listen to Daniel McVicar. :)
> > >
> > > Sorry daniel. Sex sells is B.S. If you want a genuine audience...
> > > an audience of makers, participators and creators... like maholo
> > > fundamentally needs to survive... you're downplay the overt sexiness
> > > of Veronica, and up-play her obvious street cred. Veronica should go
> > > all out and be the geek and gaming girl she was born to be...
not put
> > > on the tight fitting shirt and dumb herself down.
> > >
> > > This is much like the youtube issue earlier. Youtube courts a lot of
> > > non-genuine traffic... people there for the crowd and spectacle...
> > > people who leave assinine comments and wouldn't watch your show
if it
> > > wasn't the most popular video of the day.
> > >
> > > This is VERY often seen amongst many top youtube people. 500,000
hits
> > > on one video 11,000 on the next.
> > >
> > > In the racing world you're only as good as your last race... in the
> > > youtube world your only really as big as your least viewed
video. That
> > > is more reflective of your real audience.
> > >
> > > In order for maholo to survive it must tap into that culture of
> > > creators, makers, participators... communicators.
> > >
> > > -Mike

> > and hosts. You'd
> > be

Across the