Among the typos I left this out - despite the hubbub about the
HVX200's 540 line resolving power, everyone I know feels it holds up
to HDCam and even film outpt as well or better than its HDV
equivalents. Resolution isn't everything by a long shot.

Also be warned that the fake 24P on some of the Sony cameras can NOT
be treated as 24P in post and looks really really wonky.

And I left out my summary: assuming 24P is necessary:

Best value: Panasonic DVX100 (but doesn't do HD)
Best HD option under 10k: Panasonic HVX-200
Best Professional HDV for the money: Canon XH-A1
Best Consumer HDV: Canon HV20
Best Consumer DV: Sony's cheapos still have the picture quality edge,
while Panasonic's have the interface/ergonomics edge.

Brook