Heath:

I don't have much to add to Brook's long & informative response. I agree
with her that the newer JVC & Sony equipment doesn't feel as solid as
the Canon. The XH-A1 is on my wish list when I can spare the money to
make the jump to HDV.

One thing I see as a difference between "pro" and "consumer" cameras is
the audio interface.
* Can you plug in XLR audio?
* Can you separate right & left audio channels from different sources?
* Can the inputs take line level inputs, or just mic level?
* How goos is the on-board microphone? Does it stand out far enough from
the camera body to reject the lens motor noise?

If you don't have the budget for a pro camera with these features, they
can be added to a cheaper camera like the HV20 using good add-on
adapters ... as long as it has a 1/8" mic jack. I use a Rode shotgun mic
& BeachTek passive XLR adapter with my Sony TRV950. Those two add-ons
cost about $300 together, and they really add to what my little
"prosumer" camcorder can do.

Add-ons do complicate your setup. You're adding extra batteries, plugs &
on-switches ... and if you're not careful, your camera rig looks like
the Bride of FrankenVision. I'm not ready to drop $3K+ on a new HDV
camera and accessories yet, but when I do I will spend more to get a
more solid camera without needing to add lots of stuff to the shoe :)

br

--
Brian Richardson
  - http://siliconchef.com