Um...I'm not sure why I got this email, but I did, so I thought I
would pass it along.... but it was sent by [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Of
course this may be old news

Hello,  My name is Laura Phillips from the University. I am an
Administrative Director for the school and I represent Christine in
this discussion. I apologize that this is a long post, but I am going
to be addressing the entire conversation so far on this subject and
explaining what it is John is really up against and also that we
intend NO harm toward John and have always just wanted to find a
peaceful solution with him.

First of all, Jenny was not authorized to make any agreements of any
sort, and it says that the only person who is authorized to make
contractual agreements are the board of directors. Jenny is just a
young girl who didn't realize the seriousness of the situation or the
implications that copyright infringement can bring. Just because
Jenny was unknowledgeable about how to handle the situation and did
not alert managing staff to the misuse of the video that UMS owns,
this does not grant permission and will not be upheld in a court of
law. Managing staff did not know about the video until only a few
days ago. Only the owners of such copyrighted material are allowed to
grant permissions. The permission was not granted by an authorized
person, so no contract can be honored in court. Jenny, fresh out of
high school, is not authorized to make contracts on behalf of the
company.

As for the Fair Use Act, John Holden is seriously out of sync with
what the Fair Use Act entails. Yes, material is allowed in 3 second
clips to be used in parody or commentary. However, entire videos from
beginning to end are clearly not allowed, as proven by previous court
cases that have been presented to us. The video is not part of a
series, and the videos have never been put into one work as if it is
all one video in a DVD or any other media. They are only numbered for
organizational purposes on youtube so as to keep track of them, which
is a practice many people do. At no place in the video is it said
that is it part of a series. No videos continue any topic, each topic
is discussed only in one video, and each discussion stands alone.
There are no continuations. So it is clear to say that the entire
video was used by John Holden, exactly all 04:57 minutes of it, (5
minutes) and nothing less. This far exceeds what the fair use act was
intended for.

There are four factors in determining what fair use is. Number 3 and
4 are what come into play and where John Holden is seriously
mistaken. This is where a jury and judge would find fault with his
ideas that he has partaken in fair use. Just because a lawyer will
take it pro bono so he can have fun challenging it does not put John
in a safe place. It is no hair off the lawyer's back if John loses,
and if John were to lose, he could be left with large fines and our
lawyer's fees to pay. The pro bono lawyer walks away with not a
scratch while John Holden is left holding the bag. So don't get too
comfortable with the fact that a free lawyer will help out. You get
what you pay for. Free is not a good price when you have so much to
lose. Is a parody worth thousands of dollars in a lost lawsuit?

Factor 3 in the fair use act tells the jury that they must weigh "how
much of the copyrighted material is used" and using the whole thing
in its entirety is a clear violation of the fair use act, since only
short clips are allowed. Why do you think Saturday Night Live only
uses 3 second clips? It is because that is what is safe to get away
with. Factor number 4 is that the jury must determine "harm to the
business" that the infringement does. Since students of the school
have complained about the comments left on John's video and have
complained about the video itself, which were indeed harmful to the
business, we do believe that a jury would find that the video is in
violation on factor 4 as well. John is safe with factors 1 and 2, but
as for 3 and 4, he is not. If even one of these factors has been
violated, it is found to be a complete violation. There is no "in
between."

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > A lawyer who is an expert in copyright law and online free speech
has
> >  offered to represent me pro bono! And it all happened because I
> >  started talking about on this list and Irina forwarded it to
Jason