My first piece of advice would be to not have high expectations.  There
are a number of people on here making good scratch from their
videoblogs, but I'm not sure how many of them actually expected they'd
be able to make a living of it.  It seems to be something you kinda have
to fall ass-backward into unless you've got a serious business plan
already.  That also means there's not a huge probability that you'll
make big full-time dough just from a videoblog.  That said, I'm not
really the guy to be giving advice on this topic, since I myself haven't
found a huge amount of success, either financially or in audience
numbers, from running videoblogs.

If you can get sponsorship or investors, that's really a place to
start.  They may want creative control and you may feel like you're
shilling for them, but they'll also be there to help promote the
videoblog, and as far as I can tell, the greatest capital in this game
is promotion.  Investors will also help see you through those early and
lean times.  You'll probably need a business plan, though, so you should
think in a very serious and detailed way on how you're going to be an
asset to your sponsors or investors.

Using a videoblog to help advertise your capabilities as a videographer
and a web developer, however, may land you in some interesting jobs,
especially if you have access to some really good equipment and you make
good material.  Even running around with my less-than-pro camera and
slinging around my little videos, I've had some pretty nice side job
offers, ranging from helping a barbershop quartet do a "TV head" stunt
like the Blue Man Group...to training videos for a political party...to
music videos for medium-level bands.  When people get a feel for what
you can do and feel that they can like and trust you, you can pick up
work.  Everyone needs videos made, and often they're just waiting for
someone who's figured out a workflow to show up and do it.  In all
honesty, I've ended up turning down a lot of paying gigs because they
wouldn't fit my busy schedule of work and doctoral thesis.

Anyway, I admire your courage to give it a go.  Think higher than you
know is realistic and stick with it, and I'm sure something will emerge
out there.  Just don't forget to have Plan B on hand. :)

--
Rhett.
http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime