Heath, you are not understanding what the manifesto is or what the video
collection is.

We did not tell anyone about the manifesto. Those who found it did so due
to their own curiosity. This was a conscious choice for us as we would
rather have people discover it on their own. In time it was picked up by
boing boing, letting the cat out of the proverbial bag.

This is however irrelevant.

If you read the manifesto you will notice that it does not prescribe a
defined behaviour people must follow to be included (other than the six
lumiere rules, naturally). Nor does it say that the videos in the
collection are made by people who stand behind the manifesto. If you are
reading that you must be deliberately misunderstanding what it says.

The manifesto is quite clearly Brittany's and my reasoning to creating
this video collection. We speak for ourselves and not for anyone else. It
is right there at the bottom just above the six lumiere rules):

"As such, we propose and curate, as inspired by media evangelist Aske Dam
and the remoscope collective, a collection of personal videos that adhere
to the following principles (arguably the natural limits of the original
Lumieres)"

The collection is proposed by us and it is a curated collection, managed
by us. It is our names below the manifesto, not anyone else's. These are
our reasons for collecting the lumiere videos that people are creating -
it says *nothing* about why people are creating these videos. I am sure
there are as many reasons as there are videos.

As I have already pointed out to Cheryl, we gave it much thought that some
people may disagree with what we wrote. As I have already pointed out this
was one of our goals. We had no responsibility to let anyone know about it
ahead of time as we are only speaking for ourselves, explaining why we are
curating this collection of videos.

There is no terms of service. We are not service providers for you. We are
linking to works that we find interesting (namely works that follow the
six lumiere rules). This is how the internet works. You make a webpage
that contains inks to other webpages. When I write blog posts I do not ask
for permission to mention other websites. I did not email Hillary Clinton,
Jay Dedman or Wordpress.org's maintainer to ask permission to talk about
them or link to them - just to take 3 examples from my last 4 blog posts.
The idea that anyone will have to ask permission to link is silly.

It's a curated collection of links, that's all it is. We get submissions
through the site and we find lumiere videos in the wild that hasn't been
specifically submitted and we add those too. This is how the internet
works. The difference between the manifesto and an average blog is perhaps
that we have stated our reasons clearly and that we use longer sentences.
That is hardly something you can fault us for.

- Andreas

PS. As I said to Cheryl: If you don't want people to link to your videos,
delete them.