> Yes, they may be making enormous profits but they're not going to
> upgrade their system for 5% of users. That just doesn't make any
> business sense.

this just might be where you and I disagree.
I contend (as does most of the industry) that tomorrow's 95% will be today's 5%.
Broadband companies MUST expand the network.

Putting false limits based on bandwidth now stifles innovation.
again, i think we just read the situation differently.

>It makes more sense to place limitations or charge
> more for special cases. In Canada there are bandwidth gaps but
> they're really high. I've never reach mine, nor do i ever even worry
> about it. (or have ever heard of anyone reaching theirs) Apparently,
> they have the same in the UK. These aren't evil practices. They make
> a lot of sense.

as i said, as a customer, Id love to hear what these companies have in mind.
so far, all their thinking and decisions are being made behind closed doors.
they are not encouraging our trust.

If the limit is 200GB each month. I can live with that.
but the dark part of me imagines their accounting offices crunching
the numbers to see what the pain point is.
how much will people pay and not complain?
ever look at your bank/credit card fees?  (probably not...too small)

But Patrick, I will be positive like you. we'll wait and see.
lets remember this conversation when the details come out.

> As for 2nd tiered internet, there's no reason to believe the internet
> would slow down. Why would an ISP accept money from NBC and slow down
> traffic for the general public. Once again, comcast has already
> demonstrated that this is unlikely. (seeing as they slowed down NBC
> torrents so that people could surf and read email faster) With a
> second tiered internet, NBC could pay more to be routed through better
> infrastructure.

cool. then there's nothing to worry about.
we just trust them.
(have they earned your trust?)

> Considering Blip and Youtube already pay for high bandwidth servers,
> there's a good chance they and other startus would have the cash to
> pay for this higher tier so your videoblogs would most likely download
> faster. At the worst, they would probably download at the same
> speeds.

sounds good.
is this in writing somewhere?

All anyone wants is a set of standards and guideliness that we can all
depend on.
right now, its all arbitrary..and dependent on the whims of the
broadband providers.
They COULD behave reasonably as you suggest.
They COULD behave in their own self-interest as the presiding fear is.
Fun!

Jay

--
http://jaydedman.com