I don't have any more of a problem with this than I do the Sponsored
Ads on Google.

Like Brook, I filter them out, but a lot of people don't -  so Google
make billions of dollars of profit from them and from Adsense ads on
other sites.  As I noted here before, Google's revenue and profit
were up a third and a quarter respectively in Q3 2008 largely off the
back of these things.

You're wrong if you think YouTube popular and featured videos aren't
already gamed and bought.  It's a stinking den of corruption in
there.  You should see the kind of bullshit tricks that 'viral'
production and advertising companies pull to get their videos featured.

This is just making an honest and open auction of it.

If I had a client or a video that I think should get top billing for
a niche subject, instead of trying to orchestrate some kind of
incredibly spammy and unethical view-ramping campaign (and risk
getting caught and deleted), I could just buy a sponsored slot.  On a
site where something like 10 hours of video are being uploaded every
minute, that's about as organic and fair a way of buying attention as
I can imagine.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv