One of the options I'm considering is still using my WP backend, and
having a front page which was big image map with various hotspots
leading to different videos, categories & pages - either a picture
that I could either draw & scan & make amendments to, or a collage
I'd make in Illustrator/Photoshop.

I've made some sites for clients like this - eg http://
www.sydneyraewhite.com -  it'd be like a manual version of your drag
& drop desktop idea, Jay.