I use a MacBook Pro for all of my editing. But I'll soon be upgrading
to a MacPro tower. My MBP is a couple of years old but still reliably
handles Final Cut Pro and my HD footage. It's not the fastest of the
bunch, but it does its job. A brand new MBP should be fine, so long as
you don't need to do much rendering or effects work. You can only
upgrade the RAM so much on the laptops, they eventually fizzle out in
terms of abilities to tackle HD, etc. after a couple years and there's
no upgrade path for them.

The G5 should actually be enough, provided you have some good RAM in
there, for HD needs. I don't recommend any heavy duty editing on a
laptop because, like me, you'll get tied into so many external drives
and devices that being mobile is the furthest thing from your mind. :)

I've had good luck with Lacie external drives -- knock on wood. I have
four so far and they are all running great. Price and performance
tends to be good for them. There are some other more expensive models
that have more solid track records. Check out Newegg.com and list
models by rating and read some customer reviews. Good luck!

Dom
http://blog.gadzookfilms.com
http://twitter.com/gadzook
http://store.gadzookfilms.com