G-Tech does have a good rep these days but they are pricey. All FW drives
are fragile and they all die. All brands. The infamous failed-within-a-month
phenom affects a small percentage of them all - warranties and backups are
important. There are still people who swear by Lacie. Generally people swear
by the last drive they've tried. Until it fails, then they hate THAT brand.
The only downside to a MBP for FCP Studio is slow rendering time compared to
a new tower. Compared to a G5 they scream though.

Downside for After Effects is 4GB max ram.

Other than that they're great. I edit HD prores on mine all the time, and
even do color correction for clients (with additional outboard gear) with
one.

If you plan on doing a lot of work in Color (meaning the app), though, a
tower is worth the bother.

Brook