Hey All! :D  Hope everyone's well and in good spirits.  I haven't been around
the email group, but I've been on the scene this whole time.  Actually,
recently, I had the pleasure of running into Jay Dedman unexpectedly @ Burp
Castle haha, Great bonus to my day. :D

Anyway..

I recently bought a camera that connects to your computer via USB and fits in
your pocket.  I already had an HD camera, but I wanted something for run-n-gun.
 My goal was to achieve daily video output via filming at least 5 upload-worthy
segments each week, or at least in one day, so I could release them during the
week.

What I found was that depending on what your style is, those cameras can hold a
ton of footage.  If your style is to run the camera and hope something happens,
you won't get much.  If your style is to recognize potential moments and be
prepared, what you end up with is a bunch of snippets that amount to more
footage than you needed for that week.

Actually, I should back up here.  Video is how I express myself.  It's my hobby
as well as what I do for money.  When I'm not creating video for a client, I'm
creating video for myself.. because this is what I do.  If this were a business
application, it wouldn't matter how much I shoot, because it would all be
funneled into the allocated release date and TRT of the production and anything
that's "excess" would be discarded... Except, I don't shoot video to discard
it.  I shoot video to express it.  I shoot to share, because I was already
there.  I know what happened.  I experienced it already.  I've been putting
video online for the last three years because I want other people to be able to
experience (as much as they're able to) what I've experienced, vicariously.  So
my goal is to release the material that I shoot... not shoot enough for
coverage so that I can make my minimum requirement for my show(s).

The 'problem' is that my run-n-gun camera has made me "too efficient" in
creating videos that I'd like to release.  My goal of having a daily video
output has been far surpassed, and now I'm considering what I want to do with
my "excess" footage.

The solution I've arrived at with the help of brainstorming with friends that
follow my feed(s) is to dump all my footage to a host (in my case, blip.tv) and
only release special episodes and/or compilation/explanatory videos to my blog
with links to my blip shows for the people that actually feel interested in
watching the "raw material".  The reason I think this is the way to go is that
I've become bogged down in releasing episodes of video that I shot two weeks
(14 days) ago.

The way around this backlog, IMO is to shoot as much video as I want, dump it
to my host, figure out some sort of representative video that I want to create
for my blog's RSS feed, give people an idea of what's going on over at the host
and link them in case they're interested in checking it out.

Does this make sense? :)  I'm going to read back through the group and find out
if people are even still talking about issues like this.  Y'all might not be,
haha In which case, disregard this note. :)

Technology has improved to the point where we can effortlessly output as much
material as we like or as much as we are able to produce.  I think we're facing
a new issue of "How much SHOULD I output?".  I've seen too much footage hit the
cutting room floor and eventually the tape erasure bins from when I used to
edit NYC news to throw away footage that I've shot that might mean something to
myself or someone else.  At the same time, I don't want to harp on one topic
that I filmed two weeks ago for an entire month, because I'm trying to output
only 1-3 episodes per day.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  I'll read back to see if
there are any recent threads I can contribute to.

Cheers! :D
~ Bill Cammack
http://billcammack.com/