I too tend to film more than I can edit with a 60GB HDD camcorder. Since I only
shoot spontaneous situations improv-style interactive comedy
(www.mrthyself.com)I approach filming with a motto, "Shoot first, ask questions
later". Far too many times there were cases when I didn't have my cam with me
but situation was perfect to be captured. The availability of huge hard drives
in consumer cams allow for possibility to shoot more noise than signal. By
signal I mean something interesting - worthwhile. In my cam I have a way to
divide video clips and delete the unwanted before I even plug the cam to a
computer for backup. So on my commute from Manhattan to Brooklyn I peacefully
"edit" out the crap without wasting time when at the PC.

I am thinking about going away from the resource-hungry, albeit storage
efficient, AVCHD codec to get the newest marvel from JVC - GY-HM100U. Though it
uses dual SD-card approach, the video is pristine, let alone the low-light
filming and 3CCD's... Making this switch will make me more efficient about
"sensing" where worthwhile action is.

I dream about a day that internet has enough universal hi-speed connectivity to
allow raw footage stored online in a huge video pool from around the world.
This way people can both contribute as well as take from this pool of footage
where video can be searched by keywords. Imagine the possibilities? :) There
would have to be some in-camcorder system for tagging videos, GPS (Sony's
consumer HDR-XR520V), as well as scene/face/motion detection. So the cam writes
its EXIF (still cameras use this for exposure etc) info about what it
recognized in the video scene and tags it into the video file.

I am very lazy when it comes to editing, I have a huge load of footage sitting
on multiple hard drives waiting to be edited. I am hoping that camcorder
manufacturers will soon add ability to add premade editable titles and end
credits right in-camcorder. This way the filmmaker simply houses the footage
between the title and the end credits while on the road, "glues" the resulting
video, transfers this video file to a computer and, viola, it's ready for
transcoding and publishing. :) It would be nice to have transcoding ability in
camcorder as well but so that it's redundant allowing to be able to film while
this process is taking place. Imagine, you activate "Youtube HD H.264"
transcode and within an hour you get the ready-to-upload file?

Your thoughts??

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org