Jobs cant really say much about VP8 until oogle make an official announcement
about it can he? When that time comes, I predict the main argument will be
along the lines of lack of VP8 hardware decoding.

As for Quicktime,if we care about open standards then thank god Quicktime
multimedia development hasnt gone anywhere, or we'd still be trapped in the
2004 battle between Apple & Microsoft for codec/plugin dominance.

HTML5 is the best hope on that front, regardless of which codec is used for the
video & audio. There are already some basic tools in Adobe CS5 to enable some
limited sorts of flash stuff to be turned into HTML5, and within a few years
this stuff should explode in a  vendor-neutral way, leaving the video codec as
the only issue. So clearly I disagree that Apple are the biggest offender when
it comes to 'dumb video blackbox' stuff.

As for FUD, lets be honest, there is plenty of FUD about H.264 too. There are
legit issues for the future but its pretty telling that people who are against
H.264 took little comfort when the H.264 patent-pool managers pushed back any
woe for years.

Cheers

Steve