By the time h.264 patents are an issue again, there will be another codec
that trounces everything we're talking about, and it may or may not be open
source. Five years is a very very very long time in this field. We may not
even be using web browsers as we know them today, or HTML at all by then,
and video may be something very different as well. Apple might not be in
business, or they might be the new Evil Empire after a merger with Google
and Fox for all we know. Sarah Palin might get elected and help usher in
some misguided "porn tax" on ALL internet video that funds what's left of
infrastructure after all she murders all other sources of public funding.
NO. ONE. KNOWS.

For me, I'm sticking with h.264 as my main codec when the image will hold up
(for my stuff, sometimes it doesn't, and I have to serve a zipped photo jpeg
or just not put it online), and I will provide a theora version for work
that doesn't have much motion detail in it.

But at this point, for what I do, I'm not impressed with the performance of
full res video at 24p/30p in either HTML5 OR Flash contexts. The players for
both are universally ugly, distracting from the image, and unintuitive,
though youtube's redesigned players are at least a step in the right
direction (the HTML5 one looks almost inoffensive. now if only it would play
without crashing safari. but I know, beta, blah blah blah).

Let's make our art (or entertainment or whatever) and use what's available
at the time in the best way we can. There isn't, and there never will be, a
permanent, universal, trouble-free solution. And given how far we have to
go, there shouldn't be at this point.

I'm going to make art and try to keep a nice 95/5 balance favoring that over
obsessing about technology that is at best ephemeral and doomed to be
replaced/reframed/etc. before anyone can really do much about it. Not saying
the 5% doesn't matter: it does. But without the 95, it doesn't.

Two crabby cents,

Brook

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, elbowsofdeath <st...@dvmachine.com> wrote:

> Rupert Howe <rup...@...> wrote:
> >
> > Fair enough, I guess, though it seems a pretty open secret. And
> > they've bought it, right? So it's not irrelevant, and the possibility
> > should deserve some recognition in a full honest discussion?
>
> Yeah but I certainly wouldnt look to Jobs to provide a fully rounded &
> totally honest discussion about all these things, and as the head of a major
> corp I dont think he has the luxury of speculating as to what Google will do
> as much as we do.
> >
> > > As for Quicktime,if we care about open standards then thank god
> > > Quicktime multimedia development hasnt gone anywhere,
> > >
> > Really? Ignore the possibilities it presented? Just for the sake of
> > open standards?
> >
> > > or we'd still be trapped in the 2004 battle between Apple &
> > > Microsoft for codec/plugin dominance.
> > >
> > Are we not still trapped in a newer version of the old battles? Only
> > with Apple and MS aligned for h.264 use only and Mozilla for theora
> > only - with Google, Chrome & YT somewhere in between?
>
> Its not quite as bad as the old battle. For a start the present battle has
> practical workarounds which will do, at least until such a time as the H.264
> patent pool people decide to try to extract money from people who can
> currently use h.264 for free.
>
> Flash was a practical workaround for the old battle, it wasnt perfect but
> it overcame the absolute nightmare where we used to have to tell viewers to
> install quicktime or whatever. So too flash provides a partial fix for
> browsers that arent going to be supporting h.264 natively, albeit at the
> expense of full HTML5 takeup.
>

> > I really look forward to HTML5 being widely usable, when browser
> > compatibility and codec tolerance allows us to make video pages that
> > more than 50% of web users can see, but it would still be nice to be
> > able to easily make portable interactive networked video files that
> > aren't dependent on the HTML page they're sitting in.
> >

> Sure, I would love to have such a thing, cant see it happening though. For
> such a multimedia file to be fully portable it needs to work with a very
> wide range of devices, and be authored with a wide range of tools. Modern
> web-based standards stuff is the only thing on my radar that fits that bill,
> and Im just very happy that we even have one option.
>

> > > So clearly I disagree that Apple are the biggest offender when it
> > > comes to 'dumb video blackbox' stuff.
> > >
> > Why "so"? Glad Adobe are building tools for the inevitable HTML5
> > transition, but surely Apple are the ones who had QT technology which
> > made video not dumb, and then ignored, starved & killed it? I wonder
> > whether that makes them worse than people who never had that view of
> > video in the first place?
>
> The quicktime stuff wasnt very good, there were very few tools that made
> use of it, and there were numerous commercial hurdles that would likely have
> prevented it from appearing on mobile devices from the likes of Microsoft.

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: