From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Filmakers Library
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 2:37 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Recommended DVDs on envrionmental sustainability?

Hi Mo
You have had so many recommendations, I know,  but I can't resist pointing out
these films from Filmakers Library which might have a different angle on the
theme.

The Tipping Point: Global Warming at the Arctic Circle
<http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1592> (new release)

The Arctic sea ice, a plate of ice roughly the size of Europe, is disappearing.
In addition to the environmental concerns, the political and economic
implications are dramatic. (Click on titles for full description.)

Mad Cow, Sacred Cow
<http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1611> (new release)

With a sense of humor and curiosity, the filmmaker explores the shocking
connections between the mad cow crisis, the farm crisis, and the global food
crisis. Globalization emerges as a recurring theme, connecting the food we eat
to the environmental, cultural, economic and health crises we are currently
facing. .51 min.

Men in Danger: Environmental Effects on Fertility
<http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1558> (new release)

Sperm production in humans has suffered a spectacular drop; by 50% in 50 years.
In addition, testicular cancers and congenital malformation of male
reproductive organs are on the rise. This disturbing documentary looks at
findings that point to pollutants as the cause of endocrinal changes in the
male reproductive system.52 min.

 Storms over China<http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1497>

Global warming, combined with Chinese agricultural practices, few rainstorms,
and violent winds have produced increasingly intense sandstorms in northwest
China, leading to desertification.

Trash Trade: Selling Garbage to
China<http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1368>

Japanese waste is turning into gold in the hands of Chinese dealers who extract
valuable metal and plastic from mountains of scrap. But not all Japanese trash
is welcome.49 min

Venetian Dilemma<http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1367>

With stunning imagery, this film portrays the fragile urban ecology of Venice
besieged by 14 million tourists who far outnumber the local residents. By
tracking four Venetians who are trying to make a life in this unique historic
place, the themes of urban gentrification and tourist impact are raised -- a
problem not only for Venice but for many other urban areas. 56 min.

Slow Food
Revolution<http://www.filmakers.com/index.php?a=filmDetail&filmID=1376>

Traditional foods are at risk of disappearing forever, as a speed-obsessed
world turns increasingly to fast foods. To counter this trend, there is an
international movement known as Slow Food. 52 min.

Regards,

Sue

*
Sue E. Oscar