We will be discussing some of these issues at the National Media
Market's pre-conference workshop on Sunday.  The Higher Education
Digital Video Summit which was held in March discussed PPR and the fact
that "most" HE institutions didn't need them.  If we can come up with a
couple of models that work for most institutions, then it will be easier
on both the distributor and the buyer.

Personally, I don't like to purchase collections and would rather spend
my money on titles that I know will be used.  I don't like paying over
and over again for a title so I'd rather purchase in perpetuity.  That
way, I don't have to worry about whether a title will disappear in a few
years (and many have).  I don't have to be concerned about keeping track
of expiring licenses either.  We do host locally, but are now starting
to put everything on our statewide network so that those institutions
who license the content will have access and won't have to worry about
having the expertise to host locally.  I'll also be talking about our
model in NJ at another pre-conference workshop on Sunday prior to the
NMM.

It's slow growing and from your survey Jonathan, it's probably a good
snapshot.  Some of the issues holding people back are terms of license,
hosting locally, collections that don't entirely meet the needs of the
institution and moving to another format.  Change sometimes is slower in
academia.  I predict it will grow.  We currently have 335 streaming
titles in our collection and it accounts for 57% of our total
circulation.  That's because I purchase streaming titles that are needed
to support the academic programs and thus are used.

Jane B. Hutchison

Associate Director                                                  Past
President

Instruction & Research Technology                          CCUMC:
Leadership in Media & Academic Technology

William Paterson University
http://www.ccumc.org

Wayne, NJ 07470

973-720-2980 (work)