"For what it worth, there are a lot of filmmakers out there who sincerely
believe there is actually
some kind of copyright law that requires institutions to buy different rights."

We have had almost a year-long saga with one filmmaker who is operating under
just this mistaken belief. We purchased a DVD from the filmmaker's website, via
Paypal, for $20 + $5 s/h. There was nothing on the website that indicated
different price points for home versus educational use or that asked
educational institutions to contact for sales, nor was there any such
indication on Paypal (I've taken dated screen captures to prove it). Our
shipping address clearly said "Library." Six months later, the filmmaker
contacted me directly to offer me the DVD at the educational rate of $250 which
provides "educational PPR." When I said, thanks but we already have it, the
filmmaker was outraged. This person thinks I should have known that educational
institutions are required to pay educational PPR for films. Not only that, but
this person labors under the misapprehension that $250 is THE STANDARD price
that higher education institutions pay for all films. Long story short, upon
consultation with our counsel, and taking into consideration that the film was
not requested by faculty and never circulated in the six months it was in our
collection, we decided to return it for a full refund. We did not want to set a
precedent that creative agents or vendors can retroactively raise prices after
a sale, but we didn't want to get involved in an even longer battle. (Could you
imagine if every filmmaker and author represented in our library came to us and
said, "Wait! This is in a library? You need to pay me more"?) However, I made
the mistake of trying to be helpful. I sent this person the appropriate
sections of US copyright law, suggested joining Videolib and Videonews, and
pointed out that Microcinema sells some films with "educational rights" as low
as $20 whereas Icarus sells titles for $390 and up so indeed there is no
"standard educational price." This approach resulted in a schizophrenic series
of e-mails and telephone calls first to me, then to my Library Director. These
alternated between non-stop vitriol, followed five minutes later by a separate
e-mail or telephone call with a business-like pitch to sell the DVD to us at
the $250 price. After the Library Director abruptly hung up on the filmmaker
for the third time, this person craftily pitched the DVD directly to faculty in
the appropriate departments, urging them to request the Library to buy it. We
frankly told the faculty that we do not want to do business with this person.
If they want the DVD on reserve, they can submit their own copy...but they
better be prepared to pay $250 for it.