From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu on behalf of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Sun 4/10/2011 5:40 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] NY Times article on movies as a shared experience

 I could not agree with this article more, but I think a bit too much emphasis
is placed in the article on the first run movie experience.. Most of us will be
the last generation to remember  the joy of seeing old movies & art  movies at
a rep theater, library, college or film society. I am very old school. I rarely
watch a film on DVD and I spent my off time going to weird little gatherings of
old and mostly obscure films shown mostly in hotel banquet  rooms. I argue
often with friends who brag about watching some film they found on an illegal (
or heck legal) download. I get physically ill watching commercials advertising
the latest cell phones showing movies on 1 inch screen. I am not a purist on
format though I still love 16mm & 35mm  prints. I am less worried about losing
the social elements of film going like waiting in line or making a night of it,
than I am the experience of seeing a film with a group of other people, most of
whom you don't know. I can remember going to see  THE THIRD MAN, I KNOW WHERE I
 AM GOING, IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER and others here in New York. I had actually
seen all of them several times before, but it was and is special to see them
with others, especially people who have NOT seen them. There is genuine
electricity in the room.

We have gotten "access" to probably tens of thousands of films via legal or
illegal means while losing the entire experience of film going. Getting a DVD
to watch on your lap top or even your home theater system of a previously rare
or hard to see film is not remotely the same as seeing it in a theater and it
is in fact NOT better than not seeing it all in my view.  It is very, very sad.