From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Albrecht
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:20 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] NY Times article on movies as a shared experience

Susan adds:
Makes me think about my January visit to Keystone Art Cinema in Indy, to see
The King's Speech with my daughter.  I cannot tell you the last time I was part
of an audience which burst into spontaneous applause at the end of a film.  Not
that TKS wouldn't have still been wonderful, viewed alone, but there was
definitely something magical and, like you said, Jessica, electric, in watching
it with others.

Jessica:
>>>  I could not agree with this article more, but I think a bit too much
>>> emphasis is placed in the article on the first run movie experience.. Most
>>> of us will be the last generation to remember  the joy of seeing old movies
>>> & art  movies at a rep theater, library, college or film society. I am very
>>> old school. I rarely watch a film on DVD and I spent my off time going to
>>> weird little gatherings of old and mostly obscure films shown mostly in
>>> hotel banquet  rooms. I argue often with friends who brag about watching
>>> some film they found on an illegal ( or heck legal) download. I get
>>> physically ill watching commercials advertising the latest cell phones
>>> showing movies on 1 inch screen. I am not a purist on format though I still
>>> love 16mm & 35mm  prints. I am less worried about losing the social
>>> elements of film going like waiting in line or making a night of it, than I
>>> am the experience of seeing a film with a group of other people, most of
>>> whom you don't know. I can remember going to see  THE THIRD MAN, I KNOW
>>> WHERE I  AM GOING, IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER and others here in New York. I
>>> had actually seen all of them several times before, but it was and is
>>> special to see them with others, especially people who have NOT seen them.
>>> There is genuine electricity in the room.

We have gotten "access" to probably tens of thousands of films via legal or
illegal means while losing the entire experience of film going. Getting a DVD
to watch on your lap top or even your home theater system of a previously rare
or hard to see film is not remotely the same as seeing it in a theater and it
is in fact NOT better than not seeing it all in my view.  It is very, very
sad.<<<